Thursday, May 3, 2012

Revlon ColorStay 16 Hour Quad - 535 Goddess + EOTD

For about the last year now, I have been pretty much using the same eye shadows daily. Those eye shadows being Almay's old green eye palette and the two purple palettes I own from Lancome. My friend Rachael did my makeup the other day with her new Naked palette and I decided that I needed to experiment with eyeshadow again! I'm going to try to not use any Lancome palettes or my Almay one for one month. Which meant I obviously needed to go pick up some new eye shadows. I have seen some awesome reviews of Revlon's ColorStay 16 Hour quads and went to Target set on buying two or three of them. Sadly, they only had 5 palettes in stock: Goddess, Luscious, Adventurous, Brazen, and Seductive. Goddess was luckily on the top of my wish list, but I will have to go back another day for Attitude and Precocious.


535 Goddess
Goddess consists of a cream, a soft pink, a taupe, and a dark grey shimmer
This palette is ideal for an everyday smokey eye, which I tend to stay away from normally. I feel like between my eyebrows, eye colour, and eye shape, that smokey eyes are too dramatic for me but this palette proved me wrong! The colours are very soft!
Swatched on my arm
(E.L.F primer+shadow swab it came with)
#1: This cream is very subtle and more of just sparkle than an actual colour unless you really build on it.
#2: Sadly, though this swatched okay on my arm, it didn't show up well on my lids when I followed the guide on the back. :/ I ended up adding water to it to make it show up.
#3: This is a very grey taupe which is probably my favorite of this palette. They suggest this as the lid colour, which made me go O.O at first (I like soft, neutral lids) but it went on very nice and wasn't that over powering.
#4: This is the other shade I was a bit intimated by but once the look was complete, ended up being my second favorite! It blends really well so you can soften it or build to make it more vibrant.

As I was thinking about the shades, I realized that #3 made me think of Click from one of my Lancome palettes and after thinking a bit more on it, I realized the two palettes were extremely similar! How did I not notice this?! Well, with my Ombre Effects palette I always use the cream as my lid colour, the pink as my crease colour, and the taupe as an edge colour so I guess I never associated it with smokey eyes.
The Lancome shades all have golden shimmers to them where as the Revlon shades have more of silver shimmers and I wouldn't say that any of these are 100% dupes for the Lancome colours, but they are pretty darn close! And for $5.99 compared to Lancome's $43, this is definitely a steal!
Revlon Goddess vs. Lancome's Ombre Effects
On the back of the Revlon palettes there are application directions, which I noticed changed per palette. Goddess came with directions for a smokey eye with #1 as highlighter, #2 as a corner colour, #3 as the lid colour, and #4 as your crease colour. Once it was paired with liner and eyelashes, I ended up really liking the outcome! And this is actually the first time I have ever done a smokey eye on myself and left it on for more than 5 minutes! Fun fact!
Paired with Almay Hazel Eyes liquid liner, Jordana black eyeliner, E.L.F primer, and my Holika Holika eye lashes that are still holding up!
While at Target I also ended up purchasing Maybelline's Expert Wear palette in Lavender Smokes, E.L.F's eye primer, liquid liner in brown, and eyeliner pen in black. There will be a review on the Maybelline palette later this week!

Do you own any of the Revlon ColorStay palettes? Any other palettes you would recommend I try?

*UPDATE* I ended up taking a four hour nap while with my makeup on >.> and lo' and behold! My eyes still looked the same as before!

No comments:

Post a Comment